ADB and Fastboot is one of the most important tools for every android user who wants to customise and tweak their device. You can do everything from changing your screen resolution and backing up to rooting your device and injecting hundreds of tweaks and customizations.
What is ADB?
Android Debug Bridge is a command-line tool that has been a part of Android SDK and development tools for a long long time. The tool allows your PC to communicate with your Android device and perform several actions.
what is Fastboot?
Fastboot mode allows you to flash any partition on an Android device like system, boot, recovery, cache.. etc.Using Fastboot / bootloader, you can also flash the custom built .img files via fastboot. For example, a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM.
There are many confusions to users that you will have to go to the same folder whenever you want to open a command prompt to execute some commands. This will create a problem whenever you want to push/pull files from other folders. Thanks to XDA member eqbirvin who has discovered a way that lets you enable system-wide ADB and fastboot on Windows so that you can execute commands from anywhere on your PC. But this will only work on Windows 10 PCs.
When we or most other out there say that “You need to install ADB on your PC“, we generally mean all the major platform tools that are part of the Android SDK. However, we consider ADB for the fact that it is one of the tools that is of paramount importance, not only for developers but also for advanced users who would want to tweak their Android. So that’s what we are here for.
- Developer option should be enabled.[How?]
- Usb debugging enabled. [How?]
- Oem unlocked. [How?]
- platform tools package: Link
How To Install ADB And Fastbot tool on Windows
- Download the platform-tools package from above given link.
- Extract the downloaded zip file to your desktop.
- Now, We are going to install Adb in [
- create a new folder with name “Adb” in the C Drive on your computer
- Copy the “platform-tools” folder to the “[
- Go to Control Panel –> System and Security –> System.
- Click on Change settings.
- click on the Advanced tab and click on the Environment Variables.
- In the pop-up window, click on Path option under System Variables.
- Now click on Edit and then New and enter the path to the platform-tools folder in C Drive:
- Finally select
C:Adband Click on OK.
How to use Adb and Fastboot tools.
- Go to the folder where the files are present (Example: C:Adb).
- On an empty space inside this folder, press the SHIFT key and right-click. Select “Open command window here” or “Open PowerShell window here” from the menu that appears.
- Now, connect your Android device to the PC using USB cable and enter the following command to initiate the ADB connection.
- adb devices
- Just as you enter the command, your phone will be prompted by a message to allow a USB debugging connection.
- Also, during this time, the command prompt will return the device serial number with “unauthorized” message. Once you agree to the prompt, you are good to go. You may also select the “Always allow from this computer” option so that you will not have to go through this process again.
- Finally, you should enter the “adb devices” command again and you will have instant ADB connection between your PC and device.
You have now been able to install ADB on Windows PC and have also established a successful connection between your PC and device.